Considering the fall out maybe writers should get the word out more to readers and writers to join Medium. I mean, I’m a newbie here but I’ve written for sites like this before. So I’ve been around the block as both a writer and site owner.
So, my few theories about site earnings are:
- The platform has been more flexible with opening up the site lately because of what’s going on in the world.
- Memberships have probably been affected because of the economic fallout.
- Writers appear to be so caught up with creating consistent content on here that they don’t bother to promote the platform along with their content.
- Members tend to have way less following than they follow which is not a good ratio.
- There is hardly any engagement on content between members which is probably due to the hefty work load.
- New writers for Medium can be intimidated by favorability and drop the idea prematurely (which I have been told by a former member).
- There is no support system in place for newbies so its easy to get quickly discouraged when you are writing for crickets.
- Though joining publishing is the ongoing argument for getting ahead on here. It seems as if even that has some bias towards lower tier writers as you must qualify to get accepted.
- Writers are just as much readers as the common reader so driving the average writer away from the site would only lower content exposure.
- And the worst possible theory is that medium caters to their most profitable members much like YouTube does these days.
Now, I’m new here and I am really hoping to get ahead. So i’m pretty sure doing a post like this would only hurt my chances at that. But I am a firm believer in only supporting platforms that are on your side. Especially, if they expect you to help them sustain while you get left behind. It’s non sense really, but it’s also very unique times. Perhaps, if people gave it some time and help get the word out things would pick up again.
I mean, I got that writer who got scared away to join again so there’s some damage control I’ve contributed too.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop and stay safe!
- And check out my articles if you guys can, really looking to support writers who can use it as I am a yearly paying member. Just drop some comments in my posts to follow so we don’t lose each other on here.